The monument to the 2nd Connecticut Light Battery at Gettysburg is south of town on Hancock Avenue. (Hancock Avenue Part 1 tour map)
About the monument
The granite monument to the 2nd Connecticut Battery stands 4′ 9″ tall. The front has a relief of the Coat of Arms of the State of Connecticut, and the two sides a relief of crossed cannon barrels and crossed rammers over a pile of cannon balls. The monument was dedicated on July 3, 1889 by the State of Connecticut.
The 2nd Connecticut Battery at Gettysburg
The battery’s commander at the Battle of Gettysburg was Captain John William Sterling, a Bridgeport merchant. It brought 106 men to the field, of whom three were wounded and two missing.
The Second Battery was armed with four 14-pounder James Rifles and two 12-pounder howitzers. It was the only Federal battery to be armed with either type of piece at Gettysburg. The battery was assigned to the 2nd Volunteer Brigade of the Army Artillery Reserve.
From the front of the monument:
Position July 3, 1863.
2d Conn. Light Battery
From the rear:
Tribute from the State of Conn.
Mustered in Sept. 10, 1862.
Mustered out Aug. 10, 1865.
Gettysburg, Fort Morgan,
Fort Gaines, Blakely
See more about the history of the Second Connecticut Light Battery in the Civil War.
Location and directions
The monument to the 2nd Connecticut Light Battery is south of Gettysburg on the west side of Hancock Avenue 190 yards north of United States Avenue. Hancock Avenue is one way northbound. (39°48’13.5″N 77°14’04.6″W)