The monument to the 14th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue just north of The Angle. (39.81384° N, 77.23543° W; map; Monument maps: Hancock Avenue at Ziegler’s Grove or Hancock Avenue at The Angle) It was dedicated on July 3rd, 1884 by the Survivors of the 14th Connecticut.
Two markers to the 14th Connecticut are at the site of the Bliss farm (see Page two) about 700 yards west of the monument on the west side of Emmitsburg Road show where the regiment fought with Confederate skirmishers on July 3rd. The 14th Connecticut is also honored by a monument at Antietam.
About the monument to the 14th Connecticut
The granite monument is a square shaft with three tiers standing 7′ 9″ tall with inscribed bronze tablets on the front and rear. It is topped with the trefoil symbol of the Second Corps.
The 14th Connecticut at Gettysburg
The regiment was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major Theodore G. Ellis. It brought 200 men to to the field, of whom 10 were killed, 52 wounded, and 4 were missing.
Corporal Christopher Flynn and Private Elijah Bacon of Company K and Sergeant Major William B. Hincks were awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions on July 3rd when they captured the flags of the 16th and 52nd North Carolina and the 14th Tennessee.
From the monument:
2 Brig. 3 Div. 2 A.C
Left Centre of Regt.
From the front tablet:
The 14th C.V. reached the vicinity of Gettysburg at evening July 1st, 1863, and held this position July 2nd, 3rd and 4th. The regt. took part in the repulse of Longstreet’s grand charge on the 3rd, capturing in their immediate front more than 200 prisoners and five battle-flags. They also, on the 3rd, captured from the enemy’s sharp-shooters the Bliss buildings in their far front, and held them until ordered to burn them. Men in action 160, killed and wounded 62.
From the back tablet:
The 14th Conn.Vol. Inf. left Connecticut August 25, 1862; was assigned to the Army of the Potomac, Sept. 7, 1862 and mustered out May 31, 1865. The Regiment was engaged in 34 great battles and severe skirmishes, including Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Petersburg and Appomattox. Lost in killed and died in the service, 366;
in wounded and disabled many hundreds. Original muster 1015; recruits 697,Final muster of original members, present and absent, 234,
pro patria. This monument erected by the survivors, July 3, 1884.
See more on the 14th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War
The main monument to the 14th Connecticut Infantry is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue just north of The Angle. Hancock Avenue is one way northbound. (39°48’49.8″N 77°14’07.6″W)