The monument to the 2nd Division of the 6th Corps is south of Gettysburg on the northeast corner of Taneytown Road and Howe Avenue.(39.784027° N, 77.229928° W; Google map; Tour map: Howe & Wright Avenues)
Erected in 1905 by the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission, it was one of the first headquarters monuments and varies from the other division monuments in several ways, including the shape of the tablet and its wording.
The division was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Brigadier General Albion Howe (USMA ’41), a career Army officer from Maine. Howe’s Division was the last to reach the field at Gettysburg after an epic night and day march. Its two brigades – it had no First Brigade, just a Second and Third – were sent to the opposite ends of the Union line, where they suffered almost no casualties.
From the monument:
Army of the Potomac
Brig. General Albion P. Howe
July 2. The Division left Manchester Md. at 1 a.m. and reached Gettysburg at 5 p.m. marching 33 miles.2nd Brigade was moved to the left center and finally to the extreme left. 3rd Brigade was placed in position on Power’s Hill.
July 3. 2nd Brigade remained on the extreme left of the line. 3rd Brigade moved to the extreme right to connect with the Union Cavalry. The brigades remained in these positions until the close of the battle.