The State of Mississippi monument at Gettysburg is southwest of town on West Confederate Avenue. (Tour map: West Confederate Avenue – Part 4)
The monument stands where General Barksdale’s Mississippi Brigade began their charge into the Peach Orchard on July 2nd and represents the desperate hand-to-hand fighting of that day. The color-bearer has fallen mortally wounded and his comrade steps over his body, using his clubbed musket to defend the fallen flag.
A small presentation tablet is near the walkway to the monument.
Mississippi sent over 4,900 men to Gettysburg, with almost 1,500 becoming casualties. It was the fifth largest contingent from the twelve Confederate State at Gettysburg and the fifth highest casualty total (see the States at Gettysburg).
From the monument:
July 1st 2nd 3rd 1863
On this ground our brave sires fought for their righteous cause; In glory they sleep who give to it their lives
To valor, they gave new dimensions of courage
To duty its noblest fulfillment
To posterity, the sacred heritage of honor.
From the presentation tablet:
The State of Mississippi
Gettysburg Military Park
Governors John Bell Williams
and William L. Waller
Mississippi Gettysburg Memorial Commission
Dr. M. Ney Williams, Jr. – Chairman
Tom White Crigler Jr. – Vice President
Cray Evans – Secretary Dr. Byrle A. Kynerd
Justice Tom P. Brady Donald F. Garrett
Ed. C. Sturdivant Alfred P. Andrews
Clarence Pierce Stone Barefeild
Location of the Mississippi monument at Gettysburg
The State of Mississippi monument is south of Gettysburg on the east side of West Confederate Avenue about 100 yards north of Millerstown Road. West Confederate Avenue is one way southbound at this point. (39°48’08.7″N 77°15’21.1″W)