The Confederate Soldiers and Sailors monument is south of Gettysburg on South Confederate Avenue. (South Confederate Avenue tour map)
About the monument
The monument was dedicated on August 25, 1965, honoring all members of the Confederate armed forces. It stands just over 19 feet high and depicts a charging color bearer calling for his comrades to follow. The statue stands atop a pink granite base. The base is inscribed with the names of each state that contributed men to the Confederacy, including the border states of Missouri, Maryland and Kentucky. The monument was sculpted by Donald DeLue, who also created the Mississippi and Louisiana monuments at Gettysburg. The architect was Henry Dacy.
Walter Washington Williams was the subject for the statue. He was a member of a Texas regiment who died in 1959 at the age of 117. Williams was thought to be the last living member of the armed forces of the Confederate States of America. Park officials, however, now feel that honor should belong to John B. Salling of the 25th Virginia. He died at the age of 112 in the same year.
From the monument
A memorial to soldiers and sailors of the Confederacy
South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Arkansas, North Carolina, Maryland, Missouri, Tennessee, Virginia, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi
Heroic defenders of their country. Their fame shall be an echo and a light unto eternity.
Walter Washington Williams, who was recognized by the government of the United States as the last surviving Confederate veteran, died 1959 at the age of 117 years.
Location of the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors monument at Gettysburg
The Soldiers and Sailors monument is south of Gettysburg on the right (south) side of South Confederate Avenue about 0.4 mile south of Emmitsburg Road. South Confederate Avenue is one way southbound at this point. (39°47’05.9″N 77°15’14.5″W)