The State of Alabama monument is south of Gettysburg on South Confederate Avenue. (Tour map: South Confederate Avenue) It was dedicated in 1933 by the Alabama Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
The monument was designed and sculpted by Joseph W. Urner of Maryland. It represents the Sprit of Alabama pointing the way forward while a wounded soldier passes a cartridge box to his comrade, representing the determination to continue the struggle.
The monument stands where General Evander Law’s Alabama Brigade began their assault toward Little Round Top on July 2nd after a grueling 18 mile approach march.
Alabama sent almost 6,000 men to Gettysburg with the Army of Northern Virginia. Most of them were in Law’s Brigade in the First Corps, O’Neal’s Brigade in the Second Corps, and Wilcox’s Brigade in the Third Corps. Alabama lost 2,249 casualties at Gettysburg. (see the States at Gettysburg)
From the monument:
Your names are inscribed on fames immortal scroll
Unveiled November 12, 1933 by the Alabama Division United Daughters of the Confederacy
The State of Alabama monument is south of Gettysburg on the south side of South Confederate Avenue about 325 yards south of Emmitsburg Road. South Confederate Avenue is one way south and east bound at this point. (39°47’11.5″N 77°15’15.4″W)