There are two monuments to O’Neal’s Brigade, one northwest of Gettysburg on Oak Hill (Tour map: North Confederate Avenue) and the second southeast of town on East Confederate Avenue (Tour map: East Confederate Avenue).
The brigade was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Edward A. O’Neal of the 9th Alabama Infantry, an Alabama judge and lawyer. O’Neal had been commanding the brigade since March, when its commander, Robert Rodes, had been promoted to division command. O’Neal had been appointed brigadier general after the Battle of Chancellorsville, but Robert E. Lee had held up his apointment, which was then cancelled by President Davis.
From the Oak Hill marker:
July 1. Soon after arriving at this position three regiments attacked the Union flank, the 5th Regiment being ordered to guard the wide interval between the Brigade and Doles’s Brigade in the valley on the left and the 3rd Regiment joining Daniel’s and afterwards Ramseur’s Brigade. The three regiments were repulsed with heavy loss but the entire Brigade took part in the general attack soon made by the Confederates which finally dislodged the Union forces from Seminary Ridge.
July 2. The Brigade in position all day in or near the town but not engaged.
July 3. The 5th Regiment lay in the southern borders of the town firing upon the Union artillery with their long range rifles. The other regiments moved to Culp’s Hill to reinforce Johnson’s Division.
July 4. Moved to Seminary Ridge. At night began the march to Hagerstown.
Present 1794 Killed 73 Wounded 430 Missing 193 Total 696
From the East Confederate Avenue marker:
C. S. A.
Army of Northern Virginia
Ewell’s Corps Rodes’s Division
3rd 5th 6th 12th 26th Alabama Infantry
July 3. After taking part in the battle of the First and Second Days elsewhere on the field the Brigade leaving the 5th Regiment on guard marched at 2 A. M. from its position in town to Culp’s Hill to reinforce Johnson’s Division. Arrived at daybreak and was soon under fire but not actively engaged until 8 A. M. when it advanced against breastworks on the eastern slope of the main summit of the Hill gaining there a position near the Union works and holding it under a terrific fire for three hours until withdrawn by Gen. Johnson with his entire line to the base of the hill near the creek. From thence it moved during the night to Seminary Ridge west of the town and rejoined Rodes’ Division.
July 4. Occupied Seminary Ridge. Late at night began the march to Hagerstown.
Present 1650 Killed 73 Wounded 430 Missing 193 Total 696