The monument to Kershaw’s Brigade of the Army of Northern Virginia is south of Gettysburg on West Confederate Avenue (Monument map: West Confederate Avenue – Pt. 5). Tablets are on Brooke Avenue (Monument map: Brooke Avenue) and Emmitsburg road (Monument map: West Confederate Avenue – Pt. 5).

The brigade was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Brigadier General Joseph B. Kershaw, a lawyer, Mexican War veteran, judge and state senator from Camden, South Carolina.

Monument to Kershaw's Confederate Brigade at Gettysburg

 

From the main monument:

C. S. A.
Army of Northern Virginia McLaws’ Division
Kershaw’s Brigade
2nd 3rd 7th 8th 15th Regiments and 3d Battalion South Carolina Infantry

July 2. Arrived at 3.30 P. M. and formed line here. Advanced about 4.30 to battle. The 8th and 2d Regiments and 3d Battalion shared in the attack on Peach Orchard and batteries near there on Wheatfield Road. The 7th and 3d Regiments were engaged in the long and severe conflict at and around the Loop. The 15th Regiment fought on Rose Hill and in the ravine and forest beyond. Late in the evening the Brigade took part in the general advance by which the Union forces were forced from the Wheatfield and across Plum Run Valley. At dark under orders it retired to Peach Orchard.

July 3. At Peach Orchard until noon then sent farther to front. At 1 P. M. under orders resumed position here extending line to right and keeping in touch with Hood’s Division on left.

July 4. About midnight began the march to Hagerstown Md.

Present about 1800 Losses 630

 

Marker to Kershaw's Confederate Brigade at Gettysburg

 

 

Army of Northern Virginia McLaws’ Division
Kershaw’s Brigade

2nd 3rd 7th 8th 15th Regiments and
3d Battalion South Carolina Infantry

July 2. Arrived on the field at 3.30 P. M. Formed line and advanced about 4.30 o’clock. The 8th and 2D Regiments and 3d Battalion shared in the attack on the Peach Orchard and batteries near there on Wheatfield Road. The 7th and 3d Regiments were engaged at and around the Loop. The 15th Regiment fought on Rose Hill and in the ravine and forest beyond. Late in the evening the Brigade took part in the advance by which the Union forces were forced from the Wheatfield and across Plum Run Valley. At dark under orders the Brigade retired to and occupied the Peach Orchard.

Monument to Kershaw's Confederate Brigade at Gettysburg

From the marker on Emmitsburg Road:

Kershaw’s Brigade

Brigadier General Joseph B. Kershaw’s South Carolina Brigade of McLaw’s Division, ordered on the afternoon of July 2, 1863, to attack the Union battle line north and east of the Rose Farm, 100 yards eastward, crossed the Emmitsburg Road in this area. By nightfall their attack, joined with those of other Confederate brigades, had forced the Union troops from the Peach Prchard and Wheatfield. Late on July 3 the brigade withdrew and went into position in the woods a quarter mile west.

Erected by “Project Southland” in cooperation with the Gettysburg Battlefield Preservation Association 1970.

See more on the history of the infantry regiments in Kershaw’s Brigade:

Confederate Brigadier General Joseph B. Kershaw

Confederate Brigadier General Joseph B. Kershaw