The monument to Carter’s Artillery Battalion is northwest of Gettysburg on Oak Hill. (Tour map: North Confederate Avenue)

The battalion was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Henry Carter (VMI ’49), a plantation owner from Virginia.

Monument to Carter's Artillery Battalion of the Army of Northern Virginia at Gettysburg

From the marker:

C. S. A.
Army of Northern Virginia
Ewell’s Corps Rodes’ Division
Carter’s Battalion
Carter’s Fry’s Page’s and Reese’s Batteries
Four 10 Pounder Parrotts
Six 3 lnch Rifles
Six Napoleons

July 1. Arrived on the field soon after noon and rendered very effective service in the day’s battle.

July 2. Held in readiness for action but was not engaged.

July 3. The Parrotts and Rifled guns were placed on Seminary Ridge near the railroad cut and took part in the great cannonade preceding Longstreet’s assault.

July 4. After nightfall began the march to Hagerstown.

Losses Killed 6 Wounded 35 Missing 24 Total 65

Ammunition expended 1898 rounds.

Confederate Lieutenant Colonel (later Colonel) Thomas H. Carter

Confederate Lieutenant Colonel (later Colonel) Thomas H. Carter