No. 161. — Report of Lieut. Col Clark B. Baldwin, 1st Massachusetts Infantry.

July 28, 1863.

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to make the following report of the operations of my command during the recent movements:
On June 11, marching orders were received, and we broke camp at 1 p.m. and moved at 2.30 p.m. Bivouacked at 8.30 p.m. at Hartwood Church, having marched 9 miles.

June 12.–Marched at 5.45 a.m., and halted at Morristown at 11.30 a.m. Rested one hour and a half, and moved forward to Beverly Ford, arriving at 10 p.m. Distance marched, 263 miles.
Remained here performing picket duty until the evening of June 14, when we moved at 7.30 p.m. in the direction of Manassas. Marched all night, and arrived at Warrenton Junction at 7.45 a.m. Continued march to a point midway between Warrenton Junction and Catlett’s Station, arriving at 9.45 a.m. Halted here until 12 m., and continued march to half a mile beyond Manassas Junction, and bivouacked at 12.30 a.m.

June 15.–Marched upward of 30 miles.

June 16.–Moved about I mile toward Centreville, and bivouacked.

June 17.–Moved at 9.30 a.m. Crossed Bull Run, and halted until 3 p.m., when we moved to Centreville, and went into bivouac half a mile outside of town.

June 18.–In bivouac until 7 p.m., when we moved to a position near the wagon park; distance, I mile.

June 19.–Moved at 2.30 p.m. to Gum Springs; distance, 10 miles. Immediately put on picket duty; time, 7.30 p.m. Relieved at 4 p.m. on the 20th, and went into bivouac with brigade.

June 21.–At 4 p.m. changed position to a piece of wood, acting as support to a picket line. Remained here until the morning of the 25th, and moved at 7 a.m., arriving at Edwards Ferry at 5.30 p.m.; crossed on pontoon, and proceeded up tow-path of canal to mouth of Monocacy River, arriving at 12.45 p.m.; distance marched, 27 miles.

June 26.–At 9 a.m. moved toward Point of Rocks, arriving at 4 p.m., and bivouacked; distance marched, 10 miles.

June 27.–Moved at 7.45 o’clock, and bivouacked at Burkittsville at 5.30 p.m.

June 28.–Moved as rear guard of division at 10 a.m.; marched 6 miles to Middletown; halted half an hour, and continued march to Frederick; bivouacked 3 miles from Frederick City at 10 p.m.; distance marched, 17 miles.

June 29.–Marched at 5 a.m.; halted near Ladiesburg for half an hour, and continued march to Taneytown, arriving at 4 p.m., and bivouacked; distance marched, 20 miles.

June 30.–Regiment mustered for pay; moved at 3 p.m. 4 miles to Bridgeport, and went into bivouac for the night.

July 1.–Moved at 8.30 a.m. to Emmitsburg, and arrived at 2.30 p.m.; moved at 4.30 p.m., and went into bivouac at Gettysburg at 2.30 a.m.

July 2.–At 11 a.m. sent to the front as skirmishers. Considerable skirmishing along the lines during the day. Held our position until 4 p.m., when the enemy advanced in force, and a general engagement took place. We retired, and formed line of battle in connection with the brigade, fighting until dark closed the contest; bivouacked on the battle-field at night.

July 3.–Skirmishing commenced at daylight; heavy fighting on right of line.

At 9 a.m. were moved to the front, as support to the right wing of the army.

At 10 a.m. changed to left wing of the army, and at 12.30 p.m. again moved to the center, where we remained until 7 p.m.; again changed position to the left, and went into bivouac for the night.

July 4.–In bivouac; no movement.

July 5.–Captain Stone, Company D, in charge of burying party.

July 6.–Remained in bivouac all day.

July 7.–Moved at 3 a.m.; marched 7 miles, and halted for breakfast; continued the march to Mechanicstown, a distance in all of 17 miles, and bivouacked at 5 p.m.

July 8.–Moved at 6.30 a.m.; marched 23 miles, and went into bivouac 3 miles beyond Frederick City at 8.30 p.m.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, &c.,

Lieutenant-Colonel, Comdg. First Massachusetts.

Assistant Adjutant-General

from Official Records, Series 1, Volume 27, Part 1