The equestrian statue of General James Longstreet is southwest of Gettysburg along West Confederate Avenue in Pitzer’s Woods. (39.805726° N, 77.256549° W; Google map; Monument map: West Confederate Avenue – Part 4)
The monument was commisioned by the North Carolina Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and sculpted by Gary Casteel, who also created (among others) the 90th Pennsylvania monument at Antietam, the North Carolina monument on South Mountain in Maryland, and the bas-relief of the Mount Jackson, Confederate Hospital in Mount Jackson, Virginia.
|Commander of the First Corps, Army of Nothern Virginia|
From the tablets beside the monument:
Lieutenant General James Longstreet, Commanding First Corps Army of Northern Virginia
Soldiers of Gen. Longstreet’s command held and protected the right wing of the army July 2-4 1863. His First Corps attacked and dislodged Union forces at the Devil’s Den, the Wheatfield and the Peach Orchard, on July 2. As a portion of his infantry secured the Peach Orchard, Gen. Longstreet advanced on horseback with them. The following day, Gen. Longstreet was ordered by Gen. Robert E. Lee to coordinate an attack against the Union line on Cemetery Ridge. On July 3, “Longstreet’s Assault” was repulsed with great loss after penetrating the enemy’s battle line on Cemetery Ridge. During the march back to Virginia, Gen. Longstreet and his First Corps played a prominent role in protecting the retreating army.
“By the soldiers he is invariably spoken of as ‘the best fighter in the whole army.’ “- Lt. Col. Arthur J. Fremantle, Her Majesty’s Coldstream Guards (June 27, 1863)”