A copy of the Gettysburg statue to Reverend Father William Corby is in front of Corby Hall at Notre Dame University. The plaques on the front and side base of the statue are also duplicates of Gettysburg plaques.
From the plaque below the statue:
From the plaque beside the statue:
Reverend William E. Corby, C.S.C.
Congregation of Holy Cross.
This memorial depicts Father Corby,
a Chaplain of the Irish Brigade,
giving general absolution and blessing
before battle at Gettysburg,
July 2, 1863
President, University of Notre Dame
Plaque donated June 1963 by
The Philadelphia Alumni Club
of the University of Notre Dame
A tablet beside the statue gives a brief background on Father Corby at Gettysburg:
Chaplain Corby of Gettysburg
The first bronze sculpture of Chaplain William Corby by Samuel Murray was dedicated on the Gettysburg battlefield by Civil War veterans of the five regiments of the Union Army’s Irish Brigade. His statue is on the same boulder of Cemetery Ridge where he stood to give the soldiers General Absolution on July 2, 1863, the second day of the three-day battle
Minutes later the Irish Brigade went into action at Little Round Top and the Wheatfield. The Brigade lost 27 killed, 109 wounded, and 62 missing. Gettysburg’s individual statues are of generals, except President Lincoln, Chaplain Corby, and a civilian.
This duplicate statue was dedicated here in 1911. Father Corby was presicent of Notre Dame twice: 1866-72, 1877-82. He planned the Grotto, finished in 1896, and died in 1897.