It is much easier to get to the summit of Little Round Top today then it was during the Battle of Gettsburg. In 1897 the War Department built Sykes Avenue from Warren Avenue to Wheatfield Road, allowing carriage and bicycle traffic (and eventually, the newly invented automobile) easy access to the top of the hill. In 1935 the road was realigned, removing two tight switchbacks and creating a parking area that is a short walk to the summit.
This photo looks west from the parking area along Sykes Avenue. The monument on the other side of the fence at the top of the photo is to Battery D of the 5th United States Artillery, or Hazlett’s Battery. This is roughly the highest point of Little Round Top.