The State of Florida monument is southwest of Gettysburg on West Confederate Avenue. (Tour map: West Confederate Avenue – Part 3)
The monument was dedicated on the 100th anniversary of the battle, July 3rd, 1963. It was designed by J.D. Hill of the Bruns Monumental Company of Columbia, South Carolina, who also designed the South Carolina monument. The three stars above the inscription represent the three regiments that Florida sent to Gettysburg.
The three Florida regiments at the Battle of Gettysburg were in Perry’s Florida Brigade, whose monument is a short distance northeast of the State of Florida monument. Florida had the third smallest contingent on the twelve Confederate states at Gettysburg but it saw heavy action on both July 2 and 3. The resulting casualties give Florida the highest percentage loss (62%) of any state from either side at Gettysburg (see the States at Gettysburg).
From the front of the monument:
Floridans of Perry’s Brigade, comprised of the 2nd, 5th, and 8th Florida Infantry, fought here with great honor as members of Anderson’s Division of Hill’s Corps, and participated in the heaviest fighting of July 2 and 3, 1863. The Brigade suffered 445 casualties of the 700 men present for duty.
Like all Floridians who participated in the Civil War, they fought with courage and devotion for the ideals in which they believed. By their noble example of bravery and endurance, they enable us to meet with confidence any sacrifice which confronts us as Americans.
From the rear of the monument:
Gettysburg Memorial Commssion; Adam G. Adams, Chairman; Mrs. Wilson D. Baker; Paul W. Danahy, Jr.; Farris Bryant, Governor
Location of the Florida monument at Gettysburg
The State of Florida monument is south of Gettysburg on the west side of West Confederate Avenue 1.5 miles south of West Middle Street – Fairfield Road and 0.35 mile south of the State of Virginia Monument. West Confederate Avenue is one way southbound. (39°48’36.4″N 77°15’14.6″W)