The monument to the 6th United States Cavalry is on the South Cavalry Field along Emmitsburg road.
A hospital marker for the regiment is on the Fairfield-Orrtanna Road six miles north of Fairfield. Its location is a short distance north of the site of regiment’s fight with Confederate General William “Grumble” Jones’ Confederate Cavalry Brigade on July 3rd.
The 6th U. S. Cavalry was part of the Reserve Brigade of the 1st Division of the Cavalry Corps.
|Two men were awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions at Fairfield, Pa., on July 3rd.Private George C. Platt of Company H “Seized the regimental flag upon the death of the standard bearer in a hand-to-hand fight and prevented it from falling into the hands of the enemy.” Private Martin Schwenk of Company B “for bravery displayed on the field of battle in an attempt to carry a communication through the enemy’s lines, and for the rescue of a wounded officer of the 6th United States Cavalry from the hands of the enemy.”|
From the main monument:
Army of the Potomac
Reserve Brigade First Division
Sixth U.S. Cavalry
Major Samuel H. Starr commanding
Detachment at Headquarters, Army of the Potomac
July 3 Moved at 12 m. with the Brigade from Emmitsburg to attack the Confederate Right and Rear but was detached from the Brigade to intercept the Confederate wagon train supposed to be near Fairfield or Millerstown. Engaged a superior force of the Confederate Cavalry near Millerstown and withdrew after heavy loss.
Casualties: Killed 6 men; wounded 5 officers and 23 men; missing 5 officers and 203 men
Location of the main monument to the 6th U.S. Cavalry at Gettysburg
The main monument to the 6th Cavalry is on the east side of Emmitsburg Road about 1.2 miles south of its intersection with West Confederstae Avenue. (39°46’31.4″N 77°15’51.1″W)
Hospital marker for the 6th Cavalry
From the hospital marker
Sixth Regt. U.S. Cavalry
Marshall and Culberson Houses
were the temporary field hospitals of
the regiment on July 3rd 1863.
The regiment commanded by Major
S. H. Starr was sent to Fairfield to
capture a Confederate wagon train
guarded by Jones’ Brigade of Confederate
Cavalry consisting of the 6th 7th & 11th Rgt’s
Virginia Cavalry, Clue’s Virginia Battery
and the 35th Virginia Battalion were met
on this road & after a severe hand-to-hand
fight were compelled to retire.
Brought into action 400.
Erected by the survivors 1909.
Location of the hospital marker for the 6th U.S. Cavalry
The hospital marker is about seven miles west of Gettysburg on the west side of Carroll’s Tract Road about 1.5 miles south of Ortanna. (39°49’42.9″N 77°22’07.3″W) The position marker for Jones’s Brigade of Cavalry, the opponents of the 6th United States Cavalry, is about 850 feet to the south.