The main monument to the 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment is west of Gettysburg on Meredith Avenue. (Stone and Meredith Avenues tour map) Markers for the regiment and its Company F show their positions on Culp’s Hill on July 2 and 3. (Steven’s Knoll tour map) The monument and markers were dedicated by the State of Wisconsin on June 30th,1888.
The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry at Gettysburg
The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Lucius Fairchild. He was wounded on July 1st, losing his arm but surviving to later become Governor of Wisconsin. Lieutenant-Colonel Stevens had already been mortally wounded, and Major John Mansfield briefly took command of the regiment until he, too, was wounded. Captain George H. Otis then took over.
The regiment reached the field in the morning of July 1st and launched a counterattack against James Archer’s Confederate Brigade. Archer’s Brigade was taken by surprise and suffered heavy casualties. Private Patrick Maloney of the 2nd Wisconsin’s Company G captured Confederate General Archer near Willoughby Run, the first general officer of the Army of Northern Virginia to be captured in the war.
Confederate reinforcements continued to arrive through the day and after several hours of heavy fighting the Union line north and west of Gettysburg collapsed. Private Maloney did not survive the day’s fighting. The regiment’s survivors retreated south of Gettysburg to Cemetery Hill. Only 69 men were still fit for duty at the end of the fighting on July 1. They were posted to the north flank of Culp’s Hill, which they held for the rest of the battle.
See Major John Mansfield’s Official Report on the 2nd Wisconsin in the Battle of Gettysburg
Main monument to the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry
The monument is made of pink and white granite and stands 13′ tall. At the top is the five-sided symbol of the Iron Brigade. The circle symbol of the Union First Army Corps is on the front of the monument, with its red color denotes the 1st Division. Below the circle is a relief of one of the Iron Brigade’s distinctive Black Hats.
From the front of the main monument:
2nd Reg. Wis. Vol. Inf.,
1st Brigade 1st Division 1st Corps
Position July 2 & 3 on Culp’s Hill
July 1st 1863
From the left (north) side of the monument:
July 1st 1863
From the right (south) side pf the monument:
Mustered into U.S. Service June 18, 1861
From the rear of the monument:
Total strength of Reg. 1272
Killed in Action 168
Wounded in Action 654
Died of Wounds 96
Died of Disease 86
Location of the main monument to the 2nd Wisconsin at Gettysburg
The main monument to the 2nd Wisconsin is west of Gettysburg on the north side of Meredith Avenue, a continuation of Stone Avenue, about 0.2 mile south of Chambersburg Road. Stone and Meredith Avenues are one way southbound. (39°50’08.0″N 77°15’13.9″W)
Position markers on Culp’s Hill
From the 2nd Wisconsin marker on Culp’s Hill:
2nd Wis. Regt. July 2nd & 3d 1863
From the Company F marker on Culp’s Hill:
Co. F 2nd Wis. Vols.
By L.C. Cosmes 1883
Location of the position markers for the 2nd Wisconsin
The markers showing the Culp’s Hill positions of the Second Wisconsin Infantry Regiment and its Company F on July 2 and 3 are south of Gettysburg on the northwest side of Culp’s Hill about 85 yards north of Slocum Avenue. Slocum Avenue is one way north and west bound. (39°49’12.5″N 77°13’21.8″W)