About the monument
The monument stands 60′ tall. A bronze statue stands on a granite base of Brigadier General George Stannard, commander of the Second Vermont Brigade at Gettysburg. The front of the base displays a relief of the Coat of Arms of Vermont, with inscriptions on its other three sides about all the Vermont units who were at the Battle of Gettysburg.
The statue shows General Stannard as he appeared after he lost his right arm later in the fighting around Petersburg, the last of three serious wounds he suffered in the Civil War. Stannard is holding his sword in his left hand, and his right sleeve is pinned up. It was debated whether to show Stannard as he was during the battle before he lost his arm, but it was thought fitting to display the sacrifice made by so many soldiers during the Civil War.
|Second Lieutenant George G. Benedict was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on July 3rd when he “passed through a murderous fire of grape and canister in delivering orders and re-formed the crowded lines.” Benedict was detached from his regiment, which was not on the battlefield, as Aide de Camp to General Stannard.|
From the front of the monument:
in honor of her sons
who fought on this field.
From the right side:
First Vermont Brigade:
Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Regiments;
Brig. Gen. L. A. Grant commanding;
Second Brigade, Second Division, Sixth Corps.
The brigade reached the field near Little Round Top in the afternoon of July 2, 1863, by a forced march of thirty-two miles, and soon after was assigned to the left Union flank, where it held a line from the summit of Round Top to the Taneytown Road until the close of the battle.
From the rear:
Second Vermont Brigade:
Twelfth, Thirteenth, Fourteenth,
Fifteenth and Sixteenth Regiments
Brig. Gen. George Stannard commanding
Third Brigade, Third Division, First Corps.
The brigade arrived on Cemetery Hill July 1, 1863. The Twelfth and Fifteenth Regiments were detached to guard the corps trains. About sunset, July 2, the Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Sixteenth moved to this part of the field, retook Battery C, Fifth U.S. and re-established the Union line.
July 3, these regiments held the front line in advance of this spot. In the crisis of the day, the Thirteenth and Sixteenth changed front, and advancing 200 yards to the right, assaulted the flank of Pickett’s Division. The Sixteenth then moved back 400 yards tothe left and charged the flank of Wilcox’s and Perry’sBrigades. The Fourteenth supported these charges. The brigade captured three flags and many prisoners.
From the left side:
First Vermont Cavalry
First Brigade, Third Division, Cavalry Corps.
This regiment fought Stuart’s Cavalry at Hanover, June 30, 1863, opposed Hampton’s Cavalry at Hunterstown, July 2, and charged through the First Texas Infantry and upon the line of Law’s Brigade at the foot of Round Top, July 3.
Co. F. First U.S.S. Co’s E and H, Second U.S.S.;
Second Brigade, First Division, Third Corps.
July 2, company F aided in checking the advance of Wilcox’s Brigade west of Seminary Ridge. Companies E and H resisted Law’s Brigade west of Devil’s Den and upon the Round Tops. July 3, the three companies took part in the repulse of Pickett’s Charge.
Location of the monument
The monument to the State of Vermont is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Hancock Avenue about 150 yards north of Pleasonton Avenue. (39°48’34.0″N 77°14’10.9″W)