“Courtland County Regiment”
The monument to the 76th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is west of Gettysburg on Reynolds Avenue at its intersection with Wadsworth and Buford Avenues. (Reynolds Avenue North tour map) It was dedicated by the State of New York on July 1, 1888.
About the Monument to the 76th New York
The monument is made of Quincy granite and stands about 14′ tall. It is topped by the regimental number in a circle, symbol of the First Corps. A bronze tablet of the Seal of the State of New York is set into the base of the front of the monument.
The 76th New York Regiment at Gettysburg
The 76th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major Andrew J. Glover. He was killed in the first few minutes of fighting on July 1st and Captain John E. Cook took command.
The 76th was was the lead Union infantry regiment at the Battle of Gettysburg, arriving in midmorning and advancing across the fields from Emmitsburg Road and past the Seminary to the location of the monument. It was here that it met Davis’ Confederate Brigade advancing from the west and opened fire, just a little after its companion 56th Pennsylvania.
After only twenty minutes the 76th was pulled back, having lost more than half its strenght. It rallied at the railroad cut, but the collapse of the Union defensive line at the end of the afternoon forced its retreat through town to Cemetery Hill. It was then posted to Culp’s Hill for the rest of the battle, where a position marker stands today,
From the front of the monument:
76th New York Infantry,
2d Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps
From the rear of the monument:
Fire opened here,
July 1st, 1863,
at 10 a.m.
Second stand at R.R. cut.
Third at Culp’s Hill
July 2nd and 3rd.
From the right side of the monument:
Regiment raised at Courtland and Cherry Valley, N.Y.
Mustered in Oct. 4, 1861.
Participated in 25 engagements consolidated with 147th N.Y. Inf’y Dec. 31, 1864.
From the left side of the monument:
Number engaged 348
Casualties, Killed 32, Wounded 132, Missing 70.
Location of the main monument
The main monument to the 76th New York is west of Gettysburg on the east side of Reynolds Avenue, just south of Wadsworth and Buford Avenues. (39°50’23.7″N 77°14’48.2″W)
Position Marker on Culp’s Hill
From the marker on Culp’s Hill:
76. N.Y. Inf.
July 2d & 3d
Location of the position marker
The marker on Culp’s Hill showing the position of the 76th New York on July 2 and 3 is southeast of Gettysburg on the north side of the turnaround on the summit of Culp’s Hill. (39°49’13.1″N 77°13’13.0″W)