The monument to the 104th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is northwest of Gettysburg on Robinson Avenue. (Doubleday – Robinson Avenues tour map)
The view looks south past the monument, with Gettysburg in the distance and the loop of Robinson Avenue behind the monument
About the monument to the 104th New York
The monument is Quincy granite and stands a little over fourteen feet high. A bronze cartridge box set on crossed sabres and laurel leaves is just above the base on the front of the monument and just below a round bronze relief of the Seal of the State of New York. At the top of the monument the regimental number is inset in a carved circle, the symbol of the First Corps. The monument was dedicated on September 4, 1888 by the State of New York.
The 104th New York at Gettysburg
The 104th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Gilbert G. Prey. It brought 309 men to the field and lost 184 casualties, mostly in fighting on the first day on Oak Ridge.
|See the Official Report of the 104th New York in the Gettysburg Campaign|
From the front of the monument:
104th New York Infantry
First Brigade, Second Division, First Corps.
From the right side of the monument:
Casualties: 11 killed
81 wounded 92 captured and missing
From the left side of the monument:
Regiment raised at Geneseo, and Troy, N.Y.
Organized at Albany, N.Y. March 8, 1862.
Discharged at Elmira, N.Y. July 28, 1865.
From the rear of the monument:
July 1, 1863
The regiment is also honored by a monument at Antietam.
Location of the monument to the 104th New York Infantry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 104th New York Infantry is northwest of Gettysburg on the north side of Robinson Avenue about 50 yards east of Doubleday Avenue. (39°50’35.6″N 77°14’29.7″W)