The monument to the 6th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Crawford Avenue. (Devil’s Den tour map) The State of New Jersey dedicated the monument on June 30th, 1888.
About the monument to the 6th New Jersey Infantry
The monument is an obelisk of Barre granite from Vermont. It stands 15′ high, rising from a 5′ 4″ square base. The front of the shaft has a relief of two crossed muskets within a wreath of laurel leaves above a National shield. The diamond symbol of the Third Corps is just above the base.
The 6th New Jersey at Gettysburg
Lieutenant Colonel Stephen R. Gilkyson commanded the 6th New Jersey Infantry at the Battle of Gettysburg. It brought 246 men to the field.
|Attached to the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 3rd Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From the front of the monument:
6th New Jersey Volunteers
Lieut. Col. S. R. Gilkyson
3d Brig. Burlings
2d Div. 3d Corps
Erected by the State of New Jersey 1888
From the left side of the monument:
Engaged here July 2nd 1863, being detached from the brigade.
Supported batteries on Cemetery Ridge July 3.
Killed 5, Wounded 29
Missing 7, Total 41.
From the right side of the monument:
Mustered in Aug. 9. 1861.
Consolidated with 8th Reg. N.J.V. Oct. 12, 1864.
Engaged in 30 Battles
Location of the monument to the 6th New Jersey at Gettysburg
The monument to the 6th New Jersey is south of Gettysburg on the west side of Crawford Avenue just north of its intersection with Warren Avenue. (39°47’33.0″N 77°14’27.3″W)