The main monument to the 24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment is west of Gettysburg on Meredith Avenue. (Stone & Meredith Avenues tour map) A position marker is at the foot of Culp’s Hill along Slocum Avenue showing the regiment’s location on July 2 and 3. (Stevens Knoll tour map)
About the Monument to the 24th Michigan Infantry
The monument is made of granite and stands just over 14′ tall. On top of a pedestal a statue of an enlisted man of the 24th Michigan loads his rifle. He is wearing the distinctive black hat of the Iron Brigade. Below his feet is the brass tablet placed on all State of Michigan monuments at Gettysburg.
The full moon symbol of the First Corps is below the tablet between a relief of crossed flags. The five sided symbol of the Iron Brigade is on both sides of the pedestal and the First Corps moon is repeated on the rear of the monument. The State of Michigan dedicated the monument on June 12, 1889.
The 24th Michigan Infantry at Gettysburg
Colonel Henry A. Morrow commanded the 24th Michigan at Gettysburg. He was wounded on July 1st. Captain Albert M. Edwards then took command.
The 24th lost more men killed and wounded than any Union regiment at Gettysburg. Seven color bearers were shot down. Colonel Morrow himself took the colors twice before he was wounded.
See Colonel Morrow’s Official Report for the 24th Michigan Infantry in the Gettysburg Campaign.
|Attached to the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From the front of the monument:
1st (Iron) Brig.
1st Div. 1st Corps
From the south side of the monument:
July 1st 1863
Arriving upon the field to the south of these woods in the forenoon of July 1st, this regiment with others of the brigade (2nd and 7th Wisconsin and 19th Indiana) charged across the stream in front (Willoughby’s Run) to the crest beyond. Assisting in the capture of a large portion of Archer’s Tennessee Brigade, it was then withdrawn to this position where it fought until the time the line was outflanked and forced back.
From the north side of the monument:
Position July 2nd and 3rd on Culp’s Hill.
The Regiment was raised in Wayne Co., Michigan and mustered into the U. S. Service, August 15, 1862. Mustered out at Detroit, June 30, 1865.
From the east side of the monument:
Went into action with 496 officers and men
Killed & mortally wounded 89
Otherwise wounded 218
Total casualties 363
Five Color Bearers were killed and all the Color Guard were killed or wounded
Location of the main monument
The monument to the 24th Michigan is west of Gettysburg on the east side Meredith Avenue about 0.25 mile south of Chambersburg Road. Meredith Avenue starts out as Stone Avenue at Chambersburg Road; both avenues are one way south and east. (39°50’05.7″N 77°15’15.9″W)
24th Michigan Location Marker on Culp’s Hill
The marker shows the location where the 99 survivors of the regiment dug in on the north side of Culp’s Hill after their retreat from Seminary Ridge on the evening of July 1. The men would hold this position for the remainder of the battle.
From the marker at the foot of Culp’s Hill:
Michigan Volunteer Infantry
Of the 496 men who went into battle on July 1, 1863, 99 answered roll call here on the morning of July 2 – 3 1863.
Location of the position marker
The position marker for the 24th Michigan is at the foot of Culp’s Hill. It is about 85 feet north of Slocum Avenue at its intersection with Williams Avenue. Both avenues are one-way west and north. (39°49’11.0″N 77°13’26.5″W)