No. 162. — Report of Lieut. Col. Porter D. Tripp, 11th Massachusetts Infantry.



In obedience to instructions from brigade headquarters, I have the honor to report the following movements of this regiment during the late campaign of this army, up to and including the 8th instant.

On June 11, orders were received to march. The regiment left camp about 3 p.m., and marched to Hartwood Church, where we remained all night.

Next morning proceeded toward Beverly Ford, where we arrived at 10 p.m. on the 12th ultimo.

Left Beverly Ford on the 14th ultimo, at about 8.30 p.m., and proceeded to Warrenton Junction, where we arrived at 8. 30 a.m. on the 15th ultimo.

Left Warrenton Junction at 1 p.m. the same day, and marched to Manassas Junction, and from thence to Centreville Heights, where we arrived at 5 p.m. on the 17th ultimo.

We remained here until 1 p.m. on the 19th ultimo, when we took up the line of march toward Gum Springs, where we arrived the same night at 8.30 o’clock. The regiment was immediately sent out on picket duty.

Was relieved from picket on the 20th ultimo at 4 p.m., and joined the rest of the brigade.

We remained at Gum Springs until the 25th ultimo, when we took up the line of march to Poolesville, Md., by way of Goose Creek and Edwards Ferry, where we arrived at 1 a.m.

On the 26th ultimo, marched to Point of Rocks, Md., where we remained until 8 a.m. on the 27th ultimo, when we proceeded to Jefferson, and from there to Burkittsville, where we halted for the night.

Left Burkittsville next morning at 8 a.m., and marched to Middletown, and from there to Frederick, where we encamped 1 miles outside the town for the night

Left Frederick next morning at 6 a.m., and marched to Taneytown, where we arrived at 6 p.m. on the 29th ultimo.

Left Taneytown at 3 p.m. on the 30th ultimo, and marched to Bridgeport, a distance of miles, where we halted for the night.

Left Bridgeport at 7 a.m. on July 1, and marched through Emmitsburg to Gettysburg, Pa., where we arrived at 2 a.m. on the 2d instant.

At 8 a.m. the same day orders were received to move to the front to support a line of skirmishers, in which position we remained until 3 p.m., when the regiment was ordered into line of battle to withstand a charge made by the enemy, led by General Barksdale, of Mississippi. The regiment was engaged with the enemy until 8 p.m. on the 2d instant, having made two distinct charges and helping to repulse the enemy from that point.

We were ordered to fall back to the edge of the woods, where we remained until 3 p.m. on the 3d instant, when we were moved at double-quick to the front. We lay in line of battle of brigades until 6 p.m., when we again fell back to the edge of the woods.

The loss in this regiment during the 2d and 3d instant was–

Officers and men










Enlisted men










We remained near Gettysburg until the morning of the 5th instant, when we marched back through Emmitsburg, and encamped for the night at Mechanicstown, a distance of 18 miles from Gettysburg.

Left Mechanicstown next morning, and marched through Frederick, Md., and encamped about 2 miles outside of the city for the night.

Left camp next morning, and marched through Fox’s Gap, a mile beyond South Mountain, where we encamped for the night.

During this campaign the men suffered from excessive heat and long marches, both day and night, sometimes without any rest for forty-eight hours; yet they met the enemy with cheerfulness, and aided in driving him from the soil of Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding Regiment.

Assistant Adjutant-General, First Brigade.

from Official Records, Series 1, Volume 27, Part 1