About the monument
The granite monument stands 12′ tall. It is capped with the star symbol of the Twelfth Army Corps with a relief of a bayonet and cartridge box on its face, supported by rolled bedrolls. A round bronze Seal of the State of Maryland is inset in the center of the front. Just above the base on the front is a relief of a forage cap on top of laurel branches. The monument was dedicated on October 25th,1888 by the State of Maryland.
Colonel William P. Maulsby, a lawyer from Frederick, commanded the The 1st Maryland Regiment, Potomac Home Brigade at the Battle of Gettysburg.
|Attached to the 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From the front of the monument:
1st Maryland Regiment
Potomac Home Brigade
Colonel Wm. P. Maulsby
Lockwood’s Independent Brigade
Maryland’s Tribute to her loyal sons
From the right side of the monument:
July 2nd reinforced the left wing between 5 and 6 o’clock p.m. charging under the immediate direction of Gen. Meade and recapturing three pieces of artillery
July 3rd engaged the enemy at this point from 5 to 6 o’clock a.m. At 11 a.m. went to the assistance of the 2nd Div., 12th Corps engaging the enemy there for about four hours.
From the left side of the monument:
Effective strength 739
killed 23, wounded 80
missing 1, total 104
Organized at Frederick, Md from Aug. 15th to Dec. 13th 1861.
Maryland Heights, Md
Sept. 13th 1862
Gettysburg , Pa.
July 2d – 3d 1863.
July 9th 1864,
and eight skirmishes.
Mustered out May 29th 1865.