Spangler’s Spring at Gettysburg is a natural spring on the south base of Culp’s Hill. (Spangler’s Spring Area tour map) It was occupied by each side during the battle, and for a time was in between the lines. Legends developed that local truces were called during the night of July 2nd where both sides allowed the other to pass safely to the spring to fill their canteens. But there are also documented instances of fighting around the spring during this time.
In 1895 the War Department constructed a permanent stone and concrete cover over the spring because of damage from heavy usage by park visitors. Visitors could drink from the spring using a metal dipper and small trap door. After the National Park Service took over administration of the battlefield it was decided to stop this due to concerns with groundwater contamination.
The 1895 structure is still in place, although no water is available. The structure has three bronze plaques with inscriptions:
One country and one flag. The strife of brothers is past.
This spring supplied Union and Confederate soldiers with water during the battle.
Location of Spangler’s Spring
Spangler’s Spring is south of Gettysburg on the south side of Culp’s Hill. It can be reached from Colgrove Avenue off Baltimore Pike. (39°48’52.2″N 77°13’02.3″W)