Two monuments to Batteries F & K, 3rd United States Artillery are south of Gettysburg. Both are identical. The first is on Cemetery Ridge near General Meade’s statue. (Hancock Avenue at Ziegler’s Grove tour map or Hancock Avenue at The Angle tour map) The other is on Emmitsburg Road just north of the Klingle Farm. (Emmitsburg Road and Sickles Avenue tour map) Both were dedicated on July 1, 1907.
Lieutenant John C. Trunbull commanded the battery at Gettysburg. Just twenty years old in 1863, Trunbull stayed in the regular army after the Civil War and retired as a major. The battery brought 145 men and six 12-pounders to the field.
From the monuments
Batteries F & K Third U.S. Artillery
Six 12 Pounders
Lieut. John C. Turnbull Commanding
July 1 Took position on crest of hill near General Meade’s Headquarters.
July 2 Moved to a position on the right of a log house on the Emmitsburg road with General A. A. Humphreys’ Division Third Corps. Engaged here but was compelled to retire with the loss of 45 horses killed and 4 guns which were afterwards recaptured.
July 3 Went into position near Taneytown Road on the left of Cemetery Hill.
Casualties Killed 1 officer and 8 men wounded 14 men missing 1 man
Location of the monuments to Batteries F & K, 3rd United States Artillery at Gettysburg
The two monuments to the 3rd U.S. Artillery, Batteries F & K (Consolidated), are south of Gettysburg. One is on Cemetery Ridge near General Meade’s statue.
The other monument is on Emmitsburg Road just north of the Klingel Farm.