The monument to Battery C, First West Virginia Artillery is southeast of Gettysburg in the National Cemetery. (39.81878° N, 77.231575°; Google map; Tour map – National Cemetery) It was dedicated in 1898 by the State of West Virginia.
Battery C was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain Wallace Hill. It brought 124 men to the field serving four 10-pounder Parrott Rifles, and lost of two men killed and two wounded. It was part of the Artillery Reserve, 3rd Volunteer Brigade
The men of Battery C were originally from Company B of the 18th Ohio Infantry, a three month service unit. The battery was formed from volunteers of the men of Company B and offered to the Governor of West Virginia.
From the monument:
Erected by the State of
to commemorate the
valor and fidelity
of Battery C
First West Virginia Artillery