The monument to the 23rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment is southeast of Gettysburg on Slocum Avenue. (North Culp’s Hill tour map) When it was originally dedicated on August 5, 1886 it was topped by a pyramid of cannon balls. In 1888 it was renovated, moved across the avenue, and topped by the current statue of a Zouave.
The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel John F. Glenn. It brought 538 men to the field, losing 1 killed and 13 wounded.
|Captain John B. Fassett of Company F was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on July 2nd when, “while acting as an aide, voluntarily led a regiment to the relief of a battery and recaptured its guns from the enemy.”|
|Attached to the 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 6th Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From the front of the monument:
23d Pa. Vols.
was placed in reserve in rear
of this position at 9.30 a.m. of
the 3d, and subsequently
five companies advanced
into the breast-works.
During the heavy cannonade
it moved with the Brigade
to support the ‘left centre’.
Loss in the action:
two officers and twenty-nine
enlisted men killed and
From the left side of the monument:
Mustered in at Philadelphia for three months service April 21, 1861.
Mustered out July 31, 1861.
Remustered for three years service August 2, 1861.
Mustered out Sept. 8, 1864.
Veterans and Recruits transferred to 82d P.V.
Our corps commanders:
Patterson, Keyes, Franklin, Sedgwick, Wright.
Our division commanders:
Cadwallader, Buell, Couch, Newton,
Wheaton, Bartlett, Terry, Russel.
From the rear of the monument:
Official list of actions participated in by the 23d P.V.
Falling Waters, Yorktown,
Williamsburg, Fair Oaks,
White Oak Swamp, Turkey Bend,
Charles City X Roads,
Malvern Hill, Chantilly,
Fredericksburg, Mine Run,
Marye’s Heights, Gettysburg,
Salem Church, Funkstown,
Hanover Court House in 1864,
Cold Harbor, Petersburg
from June 19 to July 9,
Fort Stevens and Shenandoah
Valley Campaign with Sixth
Corps until August 21, 1864,
when directed home for muster out.
Casualties: 139 killed, 520 wounded and 88 died.
About 8 p.m.of July 1, it marched from Manchester thirty seven miles reaching the field about 2 p.m. on July 2. Coming into position about 5 p.m. with Shaler’s Brigade, near Little Round Top on morning of July 3. Ordered to Culp’s Hill, where it remained until ordered to support of left centre. Started in pursuit of Lee July 5.
From the right side of the monument:
This tablet was erected August, 1886 by the survivors of the 23d Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry and its friends.
Our brigade commanders:
Thomas, Graham, Abercrombie,
Wessels, Cochrane, Shaler, Edwards.
Our Regimental commanders:
Dare, Birney, Neill, Ely, Glenn.
Location of the monument to the 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 23rd Pennsylvania is southeast of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill on the west side of Slocum Avenue, 60 yards north of Williams Avenue. (39°49’03.3″N 77°13’11.1″W)