“1st Regiment Bucktail Brigade”
There are three monuments to the 149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment on the Gettysburg battlefield. The original monument was dedicated in 1886 on McPherson’s Ridge. In 1888 this was moved to its present location on Hancock Avenue, where the regiment was positioned on July 3. (Hancock Avenue Pt. 3 tour map)
When Pennsylvania made state funds available for monuments it was decided to erect a second monument to the 149th. The new, main monument replaced the original on Chambersburg Road near the McPherson barn, where the regiment fought on July 1. (Stone & Meredith Avenues tour map) It was dedicated in 1888 by the State of Pennsylvania.
There is also a monument to the regiment’s Company D southwest of Gettysburg at the northern end of West Confederate Avenue at Middle Street. (West Confederate Avenue – Pt. 1 tour map) It was erected by George W. Baldwin in 1886.
The 149th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Walton Dwight. He was wounded on July 1. For some time that afternoon all of the regiment’s officers on the field were killed or wounded. Company D had been detached as Provost Guard, and when it rejoined the regiment in the late afternoon its Captain James Glenn took command of the regiment.
In the first day’s fighting along Chambersburg Pike the regiment suffered heavily from Confederate artillery. One shot killed three men, cutting Captain Alfred Sofiel in half. Lieutenant Colonel Dwight sent the color party fifty yards north to draw fire away from the regiment. This worked, although when the Union line was forced to retreat the colors were lost, in spite of the heroic death of Color Sergeant Henry Brehm, who was shot down after he had fought off a party of attackers and was running to return the colors to the retreating regiment.
Main Monument to the 149th Pennsylvania on Chambersburg Road
From the front of the main monument on Chambersburg Road:
149th Pennylvania Infantry
(1st Regt. Bucktail Brigade)
2d Brig. 3rd Div. 1st Corps.
From the right side of the monument:
July 1st. The Regiment held this position from 11:30 a.m.
until the Corps retired, resisting several assaults of the
enemy, making two successful charges to the R.R. Cut and
changing front to rear under fire.
From the rear of the monument:
July 2nd. Moved to support of the left and remained
on picket all night. In the morning of the 3rd moved to
left center where its other monument stands.
From the left side of the monument:
Carried into action 450.
Killed and mortally wounded 66. Wounded 159.
Captured or missing in toal 336.
Mustered in Aug. 30th, 1862.
Mustered out June 24th 1865.
Location of the main monument to the 143rd Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The main monument to the 149th Pennsylvania is northwest of Gettysburg on the south side of Chambersburg Road, about 120 yards south of Chambersburg Road, across from the equestrian statue of Major General john Reynolds. (39°50’15.2″N 77°15’05.1″W)
Monument to the 143rd Pennsylvania’s Company D
On July 1 Company D had been detached as Provost Guard for the division. After the battle was underway it moved to rejoin the regiment and reached the field near the Schultz House where the Company D monument is located, making a stand for twenty minutes to cover the regiment’s retreat. The company’s commander, Captain James Glenn, assumed command of the regiment on learning he was the only unwounded officer.
From the Company D monument:
Co. D. 149th Pa. Vol.
2. Brig. 3. Div. I. Army Corps
Erected and presented to the
company by George W. Baldwin
in memory of his brother
Joseph H. Baldwin
who was killed here July 1, 1863, and
Alex M. Stuart
mortally wounded dying in
Gettysburg, July 6, 1863.
From the tablet at the bottom of the monument:
Location of the monument to the 143rd Pennsylvania’s Company B
The monument to Company D of the 149th Pennsylvania Infantry is west of Gettysburg on the east side of South Confederate Avenue, just south of West Middle Street (Fairfield Road). (39°49’46.2″N 77°14’38.5″W)
Secondary Monument to the 143rd Pennsylvania on Hancock Avenue
The monument on Hancock Avenue was the first regimental monument, dedicated on October 20, 1886. It was moved from its original location on McPherson’s Ridge when the newer monument was erected.
From the front of the monument on Hancock Avenue:
149th Reg’t Pa. Vol’s
July 3rd 1863.
From the sides of the monument:
Location of the secondary monument to the 143rd Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The secondary monument to the 149th Pennsylvania Infantry is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Hancock Avenue, about 200 yards north of Pleasonton Avenue. Hancock Avenue is one-way northbound. (39°48’36.5″N 77°14’08.8″W)