Knap’s Pennsylvania Independent Battery E has two monuments on the Gettysburg battlefield. One is on Culp’s Hill, showing the position of three of the battery’s guns on July 2. (39.820018° N, 77.220036° W; Culp’s Hill North Tour map; Google map to both monuments) The second monument was dedicated in 1897 and is on seldom-seen Powers Hill, reachable from Granite Schoolhouse Road, showing the position of the battery on July 3. (39.80606° N, 77.22015° W)
Battery E was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain Charles A. Atwell, a clerk from Allegheny City. It brought six 10-pounder Parrott rifles to the field manned by 4 officers and 135 men. Three guns were placed on Culp’s Hill during the day on July 2, dueling with Confederate artillery on Benner’s Hill. When the majority of the 12th Corps was withdrawn from the right flank to reinforce the line around Little Round Top at the end on July 2 these guns were withdrawn and rejoined the rest of the battery on Powers Hill, where they continued to support the Culp’s Hill position on July 3. The battery lost 3 enlisted men wounded.
From the Culp’s Hill monument:
Independent Battery E
Penna. Veteran vols.
July 3, 1863.
12th Army Corps
The Powers Hill monument
From the front of the Powers Hill monument:
Penna. Light Artillery
From the rear of the Powers Hill monument:
Mustered in Oct. 1st 1861.
Re-enlisted Jan. 1864.
Mustered out June 14th 1865.
At 3:30 p.m. July 2nd one gun was placed on Culp’s Hill in the position marked by a monument, and was joined by two others at 5 p.m., when the three guns engaged the enemy’s batteries on Benner’s Hill. These guns were withdrawn when the Infantry was ordered to the left and the Battery went into this position where it remained until the close of the battle.
Present at Gettysburg 4 officers and 135 men.
Wounded 3 men.