The monument to Huntington’s Ohio Battery is southeast of Gettysburg in the south end of the National Cemetery. (National Cemetery tour map)
Lieutenant George W. Norton commanded the battery at the Battle of Gettysburg. It brought 123 men to the field and was equipped with six 3″ Ordnance Rifles. The battery arrived at Gettysburg with the Army of the Potomac’s Artillery Reserve on July 2. It was sent into action on Cemetery Hill, taking the place of a badly shot up battery. They remained there throught the end of the battle. Privates Henry Schram and Jacob Kirsh were killed, and Private John Edmunds was mortally wounded.
From the front of the monument:
H 1st Ohio Light Artillery
3rd Volunteer Brigade
July 2d and 3d 1863.
Erected by the State of Ohio
From the rear of the monument:
Battery H 1st Ohio Light Artillery
Organized at Camp Dennison, Ohio,
November 7, 1861. Took part in 12 general
engagements and the siege of Petersburg.
was mustered out at Cleveland, Ohio.
June 14, 1865.
Loss at Gettysburg
2 Killed. 1 Mortally wounded. 4 Wounded.
Location of the monument
The monument is south of Gettysburg on the east side of the National Cemetery. It is about 120 yards northeast of the Baltimore Pike gate, along the fence with Evergreen Cemetery. (39°49’05.7″N 77°13’53.4″W)
See more on the history of Ohio’s Battery H in the Civil War