“Bemis Heights Battalion”
The monument to the 77th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Powers Hill. It was dedicated by the State of New York on October 16, 1889.
About the monument to the 77th New York
The granite monument is 7′ 6″ tall and about 8′ wide. The Greek Cross symbol of the Sixth Corps in on the front of the monument’s cap and a bronze Seal of the State of New York is set into its front base. The rear base of the monument has a raised relief of a Greek Cross.
About the 77th New York at Gettysburg
The 77th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Winsor B. French, a lawyer from Saratoga Springs. It brought 424 men to the field.
The 77th was one of the last units to arrive on the battlefield after a grueling 35 mile march from Maryland. It provided support to artillery positioned behind Union lines and suffered no casualties at Gettysburg.
From the front of the monument:
77th New York Infantry
(Bemis Heights Battalion)
3rd Brigade, 2d Division 6th Corps
From the rear of the monument:
Participated in the campaigns of the Army of the Potomac, Fort Stevens Washington D.C. and Sheridan’s Campaign of the Shenandoah Valley.
From the right side of the monument:
Recruited in the counties of Saratoga, Essex and Fulton.
From the left side of the monument:
Mustered in at Saratoga Springs Nov. 23, 1861.
Mustered out June 27, 1865.
Monument to the 77th New York Infantry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 77th New York is south of Gettysburg about 35 yards north of Granite Schoolhouse Lane about 160 yards west of Blacksmith Shop Road. (39°48’18.7″N 77°13’10.4″W)