Union monuments at Gettysburg > New York > Infantry


“1st U.S. Chasseurs”

The monument to the 65th New York Infantry is southeast of Gettysburg on Slocum Avenue.(39.818059° N, 77.21961° W; Google map; Tour map: North Culp’s Hill) It was dedicated in 1889 by the State of New York.

Monument to the 65th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment at Gettysburg

The 65th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Joseph E. Hamblin. It brought 319 men to the field, losing four killed and five wounded.

6th Corps Headquarters Flag 6C-3D

From the front of the monument:

65th N.Y. Infty
(1st U.S. Chasseurs)
1st Brig. 3rd Div. 6th Corps

From the rear:

Arrived on the field at 2 p.m. July 2. At daylight of
the 3. moved from base of Little Round Top to Culp’s Hill. Held this position till 3 p.m. then moved to left center

From the left side:

Organized June 11, 1861
Reenlisted Nov. 1863
Finally mustered out July 17, 1865

From the right side:

Participated with 4. & 6. Corps
in every battle of the Army of the Potomac

Monument to the 65th New York Infantry at Gettysburg

See more on the 65th New York Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War