About the monument to the 2nd New Hampshire
The granite monument stands a little over 13′ high. It is in the shape of a pyramid with each of the beveled corners displaying a carved relief of a rifle with the diamond symbol of the Third Corps below the the butt. The monument was dedicated by the State of New Hampshire on July 2nd, 1886.
The Second New Hampshire at Gettysburg
The Second New Hampshire was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Edward L. Bailey, who was a Post Office clerk in Manchester. Bailey was slightly wounded on July 2nd. It brought 354 men to the field. Its official casualties differ slightly from those listed on the monument, with 20 killed, 137 wounded and 36 missing.
See Colonel Bailey’s Official Report for the 2nd New Hampshire in the Battle of Gettysburg
From the front of the monument:
2d New Hampshire
3d Brig. 2d Div. 3d Corps
From the left (west) side:
24 officers, 330 enlisted men
July 2, 1863
From the right (east) side:
Officers 7 killed 14 wounded
Enlisted Men 18 killed 119 wounded missing 35
See more on the 2nd New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War