The monument to the 37th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Sedgwick Avenue. (Sedgwick Avenue tour map) The State of Massachusetts dedicated the monument in 1886.
The 37th Massachusetts at Gettysburg
The regiment arrived at Gettysburg around 2 p.m. on July 2 after marching 30 miles from Manchester, Maryland. Colonel Oliver Edwards, a manufacturing manager, commanded the regiment at the Battle of Gettysburg. It brought 593 men to the field. It was placed in reserve on the northeast slope of Little Round Top.
On July 3 the 37th Massachusetts was moved to the center of the Union line, where it was in reserve during Pickett’s Charge. Although it was not engaged, it suffered from artillery fire during the attack, losing two men killed, 26 wounded and 19 missing.
|Attached to the 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 6th Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From around the base of the monument:
37th Mass. 2nd Brig 3rd Div. July 2nd, 1863.
Location of the monument to the 37th Massachusetts Infantry
The monument to the 37th Massachusetts Infantry is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Sedgwick Avenue. Sedgwick Avenue is one way northbound. The monument is about 0.25 mile north of Wheatfield Road. (39°47’53.2″N 77°14’04.3″W)