About the monument to the 6th Maine Battery
The tapered rectangular monument stands over eleven feet high. It is carved from granite, with the pyramid of cannon balls at its top carved from black Addison granite. On the front of the monument is a relief of the star symbol of the 5th Corps, and below it a relief of flags, a drum, a cannon barel, artillery ramroad and a sword. The monument was dedicated on October 3, 1889 by the State of Maine.
The 6th Maine Battery at the Battle of Gettysburg
The battery was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Edwin B. Dow. It brought 103 men to the field serving four 12-pounder Napoleons, and suffered 13 men wounded in the artillery duel that preceded Pickett’s Charge on the afternoon of July 3.
From the front of the monument:
Dow’s 6th Maine Battery
From the right side:
From the left side:
Campaigns A.P. 1862.-1865
See more about the Sixth Maine Battery in the Civil War