The monument to the 5th Connecticut Volunteers is southeast of Gettysburg on Slocum Avenue on the south end of Culp’s Hill. (39.815562° N, 77.217394° W; Google map; Monument map: South Culp’s Hill) It was dedicated on August 9, 1887 by the State of Connecticut.
About the monument to the 5th Connecticut
The monument is polished granite on a rough granite base standing 4′ 6″ tall and about 4′ 8″ wide. The front is inscribed with the regiment’s information, including the five-pointed star that is the symbol of the Twelfth Corps. An additional line of information appears to have been added to the angled top of the base.
The 5th Connecticut at Gettysburg
The 5th Connecticut was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Warren W. Packer of Groton. It brought 324 men to the battle, and lost two men wounded and five missing.
From the front of the monument:
5th Conn. Infantry,
July 2 & 3, 1863
From the angled top of the base of the monument below the front face:
1st Brig. 1st Div.
See more on the 5th Connecticut in the Civil War.