The monument to the Second Brigade, Third Division of the First Army Corps is west of Gettysburg on Stone Avenue. (Stone & Meredith Avenues tour map) The brigade was commanded by its senior Colonel, Roy Stone, until he was wounded. Both Colonel Wister and Colonel Dana then took command and were themselves wounded during the fighting on McPherson’s Ridge.
See Colonel Stone’s Official Report on the 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Corps at Gettysburg
From the monument
July 1. Arrived and went into position at McPherson buildings between Reynolds Woods and the Railroad Cut and was subjected to a heavy front and enfilading artillery fire from the right. Repulsed repeated attacks of Brig. Daniel’s Brigade Major Gen. Rodes’s Division from the right as well as front attacks until pressed on both flanks and in front by superior numbers. It retired to Seminary Ridge and held temporary breast works there until the Corps retired before overwhelming numbers to Cemetery Hill when the Brigade with the Division took position at the left of the cemetery on and near the Taneytown Road.
July 2. Late in the afternoon moved to left and took position previously occupied by First Division Second Corps.
July 3. Remained in the same position under the heavy artillery fire in the afternoon.
The strength of the Brigade July 1st 1315
Casualties Killed 4 Officers 105 Men Wounded 35 Officers 430 Men Captured or Missing 8 Officers 271 Men Total 853
Location of the monument
The monument to the 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division 1st Corps is northwest of Gettysburg on the east side of Stone Avenue 0.25 mile south of Mummasburg Road. (39°50’15.1″N 77°15’07.1″W)