Union Headquarters monuments > 12th Corps


A headquarters marker (an embedded cannon) for Major General Henry W. Slocum, the commander of the Twelfth Corps of the Army of the Potomac, is southeast of Gettysburg on the west side of Baltimore Pike just north of Granite Schoolhouse Lane. The headquarters was on Powers Hill, to the west of the marker.

An equestrian monument to General Slocum is on Steven’s Knoll.

Monument to the 12th Corps at Gettysburg

From the marker:

Army of the Potomac
12th Corps Headquarters
Major General
Henry W. Slocum
July 1, 2, 3, 4, 1863

were located on Powers Hill
260 yards westerly