The Gregg Cavalry Shaft is east of Gettysburg on Gregg Avenue on the East Cavalry Battlefield.(39.826414° N, 77.162993° W; Google map; Tour Map: East Cavalry Battlefield – south) It stands where the countercharge of the 1st Michigan Cavalry Regiment under George Custer hit the charge of Stuart’s Confederate Cavalry.
The monument is about 29 feet tall and is made of New Hampshire granite. Although named after David McM. Gregg, the Union cavalry commander on the east flank, it was the first monument on the Gettysburg battlefield to honor both Union and Confederate units. The monument was dedicated on October 15, 1884.
From the monument:
marks the field of the engagement
commanded by Brig. Gen. D. McM. Gregg
commanded by Maj. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart.
July 3d, 1863.
3d Brigade, 2d Cavalry Division, Col. J. irvin Gregg;
16th Penna. Cavalry, Lt. Col. J. K. Robison
4th Penna. Cavalry, Lt. Col. W. E. Doster
1st Maine Cavalry, Lt. Col. C. H. Smith
10th New York Cavalry, Maj. M. H Avery.