The monument to Brigadier General Andrew Humphreys is south of Gettybsurg on Emmitsburg Road just north of Sickles Avenue. (39.80821° N, 77.243889° W; Google map; Tour map: Emmitsburg Road & N. Sickles Avenue)
The statue of Humpreys was created by J. Otto Schweitzer, one of seven statues by the Swiss-born sculptor on the Gettysburg battlefield.*
From the tablet on the front of the monument:
Cadet U.S. Military Academy July 1 1827.
Brevet Second Lieutenant 2nd U.S. Artillery July 1 1831. Second Lieutenant July 1 1831.
First Lieutenant August 16 1836.
Resigned September 30 1836.
First Lieutenant Topographical Engineers U.S. Army July 7, 1838. Captain May 31 1848. Major August 6, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel of Engineers March 3 1863. Brig. General and Chief of Engineers U.S. Army August 8 1866. Retired June 30, 1879.”
Colonel and Addition Aide-de-camp U.S. Volunteers March 5, 1862. Brig. General April 28, 1862. Major General July 8 1863. Honorably mustered out of Volunteer Service Sept. 1 1866. Brevetted Colonel U.S. Army December 13 1862 “For gallant and meritorious service at the Battle of Fredericksburg Va.” Brig. General March 13 1865 “For gallant and meritorious service at the Battle of Gettysburg Pa.” Major General March 18 1865 “For gallant and meritorious service at the Battle of Sailor’s Creek Va.”
Born November 2 1810 at Philadelphia Pa.
Died December 27 1883 at Washington D.C.
Andrew Atkinson Humphreys was the son and grandson of naval architects. His grandfather designed the U.S.S. Constitution and her five sisters.
Andrew graduated from West Point in 1831 and served in civil and topographical engineering duties until the Civil War. With the outbreak of the war he became an aide to George McClellan and served in the Peninsula Campaign as the Army of the Potomac’s chief topographical engineer. He took command of a 5th Corps division in September of 1862, leading them through the Antietam campaign, at Fredericksburg where he survived leading his men on horseback in the deadly charge against Marye’s Heights, and at Chancellorsville.
He was transferred to the 1st Division of the 3rd Corps just before Gettysburg. His division was shattered in Longstreet’s assault on Sickles’ exposed position on July 2nd. Humphreys was tenacious in his defense, and even after the collapse of the corps put together a fighting line of men who would not run away. advancing them back into the fight.
After the battle he was rewarded with a promotion to major general of volunteers and brevet brigadier general in the regular army, and became Meade’s chief of staff.
In November of 1864 he took over the 2nd Corps from Hancock, who had to step down due to continuing complications from his Gettysburg wound. Humphreys commanded the 2nd Corps with distinction until the end of the war.
After the war Humphreys served as the army’s chief of engineers until his retirement in 1879. He died in Washington D.C. in 1883.
*The other six statues by Schweitzer at Gettysburg are President Lincoln, David McM. Gregg and Alfred Pleasonton from the State of Pennsylvania Monument; William Wells on South Confederate Avenue, John Geary on Culp’s Hill and Alexander Hays on Hancock Avenue.