The marker for Steuart’s Brigade of the Army of Northern Virginia is southeast of Gettysburg on East Confederate Avenue. (East Confederate Avenue tour map)
The brigade was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Maryland native Brgadier General George Steuart (USMA ’48), a career Army officer.
From the monument:
July 1. Arrived about nightfall and took position near Hanover Road about a mile east of Rock Creek with left wing at edge of woods.
July 2. Crossing Rock Creek at 6 P. M. the 3d N. C. and 1st Md. attacked the lesser summit of Culp’s Hill. Reinforced later by the other regiments the Union breastworks thinly manned at some points were occupied to the southern base of the main summit but only after a vigorous and desperate conflict.
July 3. The Union troops reinforced the conflict at dawn and it raged fiercely until 11 A. M. when this Brigade and the entire line fell back to the base of the hill and from thence moved about midnight to Seminary Ridge northwest of the town.
July 4. Occupied Seminary Ridge. About 10 P. M. began the march to Hagerstown.
Present about 1700 Killed 83 Wounded 409 Missing 190 Total 682