“The Sumter (Georgia) Artillery”
The monument to Lane’s Artillery Battalion is southwest of Gettysburg on West Confederate Avenue. (Tour map: West Confederate Avenue – Pt. 2
) The battalion was known as the Sumter Artillery as many men were recruited from Sumter County, Georgia. The battalion was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by the battalion’s executive offider, Major John Lane, while its commander, Lieutenant Colonel Alan S. Cutts, was on a leave of absence.
From the monument:
C. S. A.
Army of Northern Virginia
Hill’s Corps Anderson’s Division
Patterson’s Wingfield’s and Ross’ Batteries
Two 20 Pounder Parrotts
Three 10 Pounder Parrotts
Four 3 Inch Navy Parrotts
and Five 12 Pounder Howitzers
July 2 – 3. Took part in the battle.
July 4. Remained in position near here and about sunset began the march to Hagerstown.
Losses Killed 3 Wounded 21 Missing 6 Total 30
Ammunition expended 1082 rounds. Horses killed or disabled 36.